I read an interesting article on The New York Times today that discussing how gratitude and feeling grateful can increase our satisfaction with life, increase the amount of time we spend exercising (Really?!), have less depression, anxiety.. The list goes on.
I’ve heard this before and know of the “gratitude journal” movement, presumably pioneered by the Master of All Things, Oprah Winfrey but didn’t think this was scientifically proven. It turns out, I was completely wrong. SCIENTISTS PROVED GRATITUDE MAKES YOU HAPPIER! We had a slow day at work and I actually read through a 12 page study published in a scientific journal which talked about how they tested gratitude’s effect on our lives. Here’s the link if you’re interested: Gratitude Study . Here is a link to a bunch of articles on gratitude. Ya know, if you’re a dork like me and want to spend time reading academic papers: Gratitude Articles
In the spirit of thanksgiving I thought I would list 5 things I am grateful for that happened to me today and if this blog post *does* make me happier and make me want to hit the gym more I may make this a regular posting :)
1) I am grateful for my husband who helped me get my lunch ready since I was running late (This happens almost every day and I am grateful for it every day).
2) I am grateful that the person job shadowing me today was lovely and helped my afternoon pass quickly.
3) I am grateful for the barista at Starbucks who made my latte as I didn’t have time to make coffee myself.
4) I am grateful for my mother’s phone call. We talked about shoes, work, the Occupy Movement, Thanksgiving and a trip to Memphis in the span of about 20 minutes.
5) I am grateful for my disposable income. The $5 Zingerman’s candy bar I was able to buy at Whole Foods was DELICIOUS (Really hoping this listing will make me want to work out as the candy bar was 300 calories, yikes!).
What are you grateful for today?