I can’t believe I waited THIS long to start volunteering at the Humane Society. I love animals, especially dogs, so damn much that giving my time to my local shelter seemed like the natural thing to do.
I took my New Volunteer Orientation at the Humane Society of Huron Valley in February of 2015. After accumulating 20 hours of volunteering (mostly through picking up donations from a location Walmart), I was allowed to take training to walk the dogs.
In late July 2015, I took “Dog Walking Level 1.” I was so incredibly nervous to take the training, I wanted to learn everything I could and not miss one piece of information. There was SO much to take in (surprisingly, it’s not just picking up a leash and going on a walk) over the 3 hour class, I was worried I wasn’t cut out to walk these adoptable dogs.
I’ve been dog walking since August, having raked up about 45 hours of dog walking since, and I *still* get nervous before I go. It’s not because I’m scared of the dogs (I was a little timid with the pit bulls at first due to misunderstandings about the breed), I just want to do everything RIGHT.
I thought I’d share the names of some the dogs I’ve walked… I tend to hang on to “important documents” for longer than needed and have kept all of my notes on the dogs :)
1. Tess – I don’t remember Tess, I think she was a small dog.
2. Zoei Raye – wonderful pit bill mix, a volunteer favourite.
3. Chutney – timid hound dog who was more content in his kennel.
4. Charity – sweet pit bull mix.
5. Mr Biggs
9. Grace – another hound dog AND another volunteer favourite. Grace was with a few families before finding her forever home :)
10. Nora – I *loved* Nora, what a gentle lady.
13. Smokey Bones (funny little dog)
16. Sunflower – I loved her too. She was a boxer mix I believe.
17. Bacon! Big ol’ Bacon. He’s about 100 lbs and still available for adoption. CLICK HERE.
18. Capone – Super cool dog who looked like a fox. He was adopted very quickly.
19. Little Bit – lil’ cutie.
20. Chubby – Little bit’s brother.
23. Mocha – I really liked Mocha, a lab mix. We had a lot of fun playing fetch in the play yard.
21. Merlin – an older pit bull mix who was a little fearful at first, but is very lovely. Merlin is one of the dogs approved to interact with the Junior volunteers.
24. Phoenix – an older gentleman (10 yrs) who I walked a couple of times :)
25. King – another gem! King is a Pharaoh Hound mix who was adopted.
29. Blossom – I loved Blossom the TV show (Whoa!) and the dog. She was a small mix, black/white, long hair… a senior dog. But it didn’t take long for her to find a home.
33. Baylee – my notes on Baylee “didn’t poo”
34. Rooney – a puppy!!!
36. Coco – who I noted was “sweet”
***For a complete list of all the available animals ready for adoption at the Humane Society of Huron Valley CLICK HERE***